Sunday, November 21, 2010

Practice fire building and cooking

Since the last time I started a fire was back in the early 1990's I decided to practice my fire starting skills.  It brought back a lot of good memories as a Boy Scout.

You should practice starting a fire several different ways.  Some of the ways you can start a fire are with matches, a lighter, flint and steel, a 9 volt battery and steel wool, and a bow and drill.    If you are proficient in starting a fire even without matches or a lighter you will be prepared to survive outdoors if it were to ever get that bad. 

Below is a short video and some photos.  This is my first video and my first fire in years so don't laugh!! I really did not edit the video but just combined the video from several clips. As discussed in the video I took out my Boy Scout Handbook and created a Crisscross Fire Lay which is a type of fire lay when you want a bed of coals in a hurry for broiling or baking.   To start the fire I used a magnesium flint fire starter along with some dryer lint, hay and pine needles.

If you have not started a fire in several years, I recommend that you begin practicing your fire starting skills because you never know when you may need them.

Live the Motto - Be Prepared!






2 comments:

  1. i've never gotten good sparks from a stainless knife blade before. it's good to see you were able to get the magnesium lit. i'll need to try it again.

    "fuzz sticks" are another good scout technique, if kindling is in short supply. i was able to get a nice driftwood fire started that way on island beach, when i went surf fishing with some friends.

    keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks irishdutchuncle. Yes, I remember the "fuzz sticks". Good stuff.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete