Sunday, April 11, 2010

Onions and Apples

I haven't posted in awhile.  Continuing to prepare for what's coming.  Be sure you do the same!

The gardening is coming along.  The spinach is finally growing, the buttercrunch lettuce is slowly coming up and Big John's Amish Snap Peas are all up, a 90% germination rate.  The Paris Island romaine lettuce that I planted did not germinate at all.  Make sure you have a backup plan if your seeds do not germinate.  It happens and you must be prepared.  The more seeds you store the better. 

I just planted some Red Baron Onion Sets. Since I like to be different I did not plant the onion sets directly in the ground.  Instead I followed Ruth Stout's advice and just placed them on top of the ground and a thin layer of hay and then placed a few inches of hay on top.  I did add some soybean meal on the ground and on the hay for a natural fertilizer.  This is my first time growing onions so we will see what happens.

Check out the photos of my onions being planted and a few more photos of my apple trees.  Thanks to IdahoBob for reminding me to fence my apple trees.  The day after I fenced my apple trees the deer roamed into my yard trying to get those trees!

Live the Motto - Be Prepared!









































































































2 comments:

  1. Great garden pics!

    The way you have planted your onion sets....that is how I'm going to plant spuds. Last fall, I covered the entire garden with a thick layer of straw, now I'll just lay the seed spuds on top of it and cover with about 2' of new straw. I wanted to get them out there for over a month, now, but with the nights dropping down to 20 degrees of less, I have been REAL leery of doing so. The past two nights it has not dropped below forty, so today I'm going to have to take the plunge and get 'er done.
    Gonna put out all of the brassica starts and onions and get those peas planted. Busy next couple of days.

    Oh dear, as I look outside (6:05 am), it's threatening to rain.....I gotta get a move on!

    Happy Gardening!!

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother plants his spuds this way in straw . It works !

    ReplyDelete