Sunday, May 8, 2011

Eating Neighborhood Wildlife (Neighborhood Hunting)

It's been a while since I last posted but I'm still preparing.

I don't know how but my dog bagged him a rabbit.  He came out of his dog house with his head high and a full grown rabbit in his mouth.  I was kind of proud!

























Well after seeing this, that got me interested in considering our neighborhood animals as food.  In my neighborhood the most common wildlife are squirrels, rabbits, deer and wild turkey.  These animals are fairly abundant in my neighborhood at this time but if a disaster took placed that lasted for several months most of these animals will be gone very quickly.   It would be almost a luxury to have these animals for dinner if supermarkets are no longer there.  For those who are not hunters you may not realize what is necessary to put these animals onto your plate.  There is more to it than just putting a bullet or arrow into the animal.  We are so accustomed to just picking up already skinned, gutted and butchered meat, that we forget or do not realize that there are preparations that must be done before eating these animals.  Knowing how to properly skin, gut and butcher these animals can give you alternative food options such as raising rabbits.  Below are some videos I found that show what needs to be done to prepare a squirrel, rabbit, deer and turkey for dinner.  If you can't stomach it, don't look at the videos.

Live the Motto - Be Prepared!



 






No comments:

Post a Comment